Wednesday, December 23, 2009

New Age Witch Hunt

No, the inquisition isn't out accusing all the powerful women and successful alternative believers of being witches or burning them, torturing them, etc., they've found a new way of control. Boycotting. If you've ever driven past an abortion clinic or been to a gay club, you know what that consists of. It gets worse when more money's involved and you give a percentage of your earnings to the church if you belong. This is the ridiculous type of thing that your money is going towards. Is it worth it?

His Dark Materials, the trilogy by English author, Philip Pullman, is what inspired the 2007 film, The Golden Compass, which is based on the first book, Northern Lights. There are two more books(hence, trilogy) of which the director Chris Weitz and producer Deborah Forte have expressed their intention to make sequels based upon, according to an article posted July 20th on christianpost.com.

This excerpt was taken from the above link;

'Before its release, The Golden Compass received heavy criticism from some faith-based organizations for the source material's anti-Christian and atheistic themes, as well as from secular organizations and fans of His Dark Materials for the dilution of the religious elements from the novels.

While the film was successful overseas, making around $300 million, it made only $70 million in the United States, which some attributed to the boycotting of the film.

New Line Cinema, the film’s distributor, reportedly commissioned Hossein Amini to write a screenplay based on the second book in the trilogy, The Subtle Knife, potentially for release in late 2009, with the third book of the trilogy, The Amber Spyglass, to follow. However, New Line president Toby Emmerich has reportedly stressed that production of the second and third films was dependent on the financial success of The Golden Compass.

Golden Compass Producer Deborah Forte, on the other hand, has vowed to make the second and the third movie, claiming that they “have to.”

"I will make 'The Subtle Knife' and 'The Amber Spyglass,'" she told Variety Magazine this past March. "I believe there are enough people who see what a viable and successful franchise we have."'

Posted December16th on catholicleague.com was this little tidbit, entitled "No Sequel To 'The Golden Compass"';


'Catholic League president Bill Donohue comments on reports that there will be no sequel to “The Golden Compass,” the movie based on the first book of a trilogy by English author Philip Pullman:

Two years ago, the Catholic League launched a boycott of “The Golden Compass” in the hope that Christian parents would keep their children away from the film and thus not be inclined to buy them His Dark Materials, the trilogy of pro-atheist books aimed at young people. We also wanted to discourage the possibility that producers would make a movie of “The Subtle Knife,” the second book of the trilogy. We knew we succeeded in the first goal, and had every reason to believe we were going to win on the second one. Now Pullman has confirmed our victory: there will be no sequel.

Pullman has been widely quoted in Britain taking aim at me for my alleged “triumphalism.” The accusation is accurate. I am positively gloating. Cheers, everyone!'

I must say as a parent, that there are movies made for children that I wouldn't approve of for my children until they're older and I can explain certain things to them... That is your responsibility as a parent. You decide what is appropriate for your child/ren.

I am appalled by the efforts of the catholic church to completely blacklist this series. We live in a country famed for freedom of expression which includes all forms of media. Once again a faith's fear due to a lack of understanding takes away from people with the proper education and sense to keep their faith and base their view on facts rather than a fantasy series of novels.

My husband and I adored The Golden Compass and were thrilled when we realized there were books and what we thought was a definite sequel.

I support all faiths, because you need faith, in my opinion, to get you through the rough times and keep you working towards the positive, but Christianity is one of the youngest religions in the world based on all the ancient faiths, re-written to justify behavior and keep certain people in power. Here, with the prevalence of ignorance and fear, the discrimination and closed-mindedness continues to ruin the enjoyment of those of us seeking entertainment when we're not taking care of our families.

I don't hail to the christian faith specifically. I hold some beliefs in my personal path, but I'm mostly PAGAN. Guess what? I'm not out killing people because I don't agree with them. I don't steal, I don't lie(much), I'm faithful to my husband, respectful to my parents and all elders and I'm forever trying to help people. I even do assisted living as a source of employment.

Christians will tell you that I am evil or delusional because I do magic and use tools of divination to better my existence and help others, what does that tell you? That they're going based on indoctrination they, themselves, have experienced and know NOTHING outside of what they were forced to believe.

ACCEPT DIVERSITY. We will never be of one race or creed as a whole. Different people is what makes the world. You don't have to agree with others, that's your right, but you may as well accept it.

I have the right as an American, as an adult, as a HUMAN BEING to choose my entertainment. I'm disgusted that an organization has ANY say.

Believe what you believe, by all means. Especially if it enriches your life. However, you, personally, have not been charged with the job of ridding the world of evil(which by the way has no embodiment with a name, but came from the terror, pain and injustice that PEOPLE just like you and me brought against one another). Don't see an atheistic movie or allow you kids to if that makes you feel better, but the rest of us would like the choice.


No comments:

Post a Comment